The Values of 4-H

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Values of 4-H

L-R Tori Murnion, Walker Colvin, Dalton Bliss, and Ben McRae posing in the ring at the 2017 Garfield County Fair.

Jeana Bliss

Jeana Bliss

Jeana Bliss

Tori Murnion, Reporter

Kids all over the nation are involved in 4-H. We have our own 4-H community right here in Jordan. 4-H has taught many good values to kids throughout the nation. Have you ever wondered about 4-H?
You can find a 4-H community in any town across the nation. Kids in urban, suburban, and rural communities all have access to be involved in 4-H. There are roughly 6 million kids involved in it. There are 1.8 million kids in urban areas, 1.6 million in suburban areas, and 2.6 million in rural areas. Out of our highschool here in Jordan, there are 14 students involved in 4-H. There are lots of different ways to be involved in 4-H. You can take inside projects like photography, baking, or sewing. You could also take animals, big or small. At the fair you get to sell your animal if you take it in a market class, you also get to sell your baked goods. Kids are taught many good values and life skills through this organization.
Many develop leadership skills from being an officer in their 4-H club. Ben McRae, a junior at GCDHS, said, “ …. I was president of my 4-H club and now I know how to run a meeting,….”. Faye Stanton, a junior, stated, “ I’ve developed leadership skills by being an officer in my club and helping younger 4-H members on their projects.”. You also learn a lot of lifelong skills from 4-H. Walker Colvin, a freshman, stated “ I’ve learned that it’s better to ride horses before they are old enough to buck you off.” which is a good skill to learn. Tierney Phipps, a junior, said “I learned how to debloat a steer and how to show,” also two very good skills. Another benefit of 4-H is it helps you develop as an individual. Jenna Gibson, a sophomore, said “… I think it teaches you really good leadership skills and looks great on resumes,…”. You get many great lifelong skills from 4-H.
Kids all over the nation are involved in 4-H. It teaches you so many great values and life long skills. Many kids here in Jordan have learned great skills over the years. This program is beneficial to kids all over America.