When Should You Start Planning For College?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jenna Gibson and Libby Fogle

Where are you going to college? That’s the question that weighs on all high school student’s shoulders. They start getting worried and start feeling that they may be getting behind. Does everyone else already know what they are doing with their life even though it’s still a very long time until you have to decide the direction that your future is going.  So, when is a good time to start saving and searching for colleges? That’s a really big question for every student.

The Sagebrush Saga Staff asked students and staff, “When is the best time to start preparing and planning for college?”

“Freshman year is the best because then you can plan your courses to work with what you want to go to college for.” counselor Katie Shawver said.

“When you’re five years old because college is scary and expensive and it’s nice to have an outline for when you go to college.” senior Macy Fogle said.

“Seventh grade is when I started planning because I have plans to play at University of Montana.” freshman Dawson Murnion said.

There is no standard time to start planning for college. Some students have known where they want to go since 5th grade while other students start off senior year still debating what they are going to do, but starting the college planning process early will give you the best opportunity to form a compelling application and hopefully get accepted into the perfect college for you. Don’t worry, this doesn’t mean you need to know exactly when and where you’re going by the time freshman year rolls around. A great way to start the planning process your freshman year is to start laying down the foundation for your academic and extracurricular credentials. To do this look into your classes and extracurricular and find which ones interest you but also ones that will prepare you for your future education. Participating in a variety of extracurricular (both school related and non-school related) and taking an assortment of classes including core classes and college prep classes can make you a more well-rounded student.  Another great idea for freshman year is to start considering a savings plan. Talk to your parents, if they already have a savings plan for you continue to add to it. If not now is a great time to start one.