Secret Santa Spoilers

The Not So Secret Santa

Back to Article
Back to Article

Secret Santa Spoilers

Jenna Gibson

People say that word travels fast in high school.  From everyday gossip to big scandals by third hour almost everyone knows, and the “secrets” of Secret Santa gift exchanges are no different. There are several “Secret Santa” gift exchanges going on in the high school and the elementary school and sadly most people already know who has who and who’s getting what.

Remember being a kid and finally drawing for the Secret Santa and then preceding to tell your best friend whose name you picked at recess. Usually, by the next day you knew who everyone had and what they were planning on getting them.  It doesn’t seem to matter if you are in third grade or a Junior, the “secrets” in Secret Santa gift exchanges are bound to be exposed. Even if you don’t expose who you have, the process of elimination works really well and sooner or later people will probably guess whose name you drew.

Unfortunately, some of the gift exchanges at GCDHS are already spoiled. Second grader Kendra Reis says ,“Of course everyone knows who has who, but it’s still fun because the presents are still a secret.” Despite some classes knowing the secret, fourth grader AJ Murnion swears, “The fourth grade Secret Santa is a complete secret.”

The Student Council Secret Santa might have beat the world record in “Secret Santa spoiler” this year. The day after the drawing even the teachers knew who had who and what they were getting. Student Council advisor Stephanie Edwards says, “It kind of takes the fun out of it, but I still enjoy them and I think the kids still have fun with it.” Surprisingly, staff say that as far as they know the staff gift exchange has yet to be exposed and they can’t remember a single year it has been. First grade teacher Cathy Murnion, who organized the elementary Secret Santa says, “Usually everyone tries to guess who has who, but I don’t think the Secret Santa has ever been ruined.”

Despite the fact that most Secret Santas are exposed by the time the actual gift giving takes place, gift exchanges are still a fun way to celebrate the holidays and spread a little Christmas cheer. The lack of secret in a Secret Santa gift exchange doesn’t take away the joy of not only receiving gifts but most importantly,  giving gifts to others and that’s what Christmas and gift exchanges are really about.