• Nov 15, 3:27 pmMustang Football Plays For State 6-Man Title This Saturday 1:00PM against Wibaux in Wibaux!

Veteran’s Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Veteran’s Day

Drawing by Brynn Ryan.

Drawing by Brynn Ryan.

Drawing by Brynn Ryan.

Drawing by Brynn Ryan.

Tori Murnion, Reporter

In July of 1914, many countries, including the United States, fought in World War 1.  The war originally started from the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, in Sarajevo, on June 28th, 1914. Archduke Franz Ferdinand was the heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary. The assassination led to many events which turned into WW1. Austria-Hungary blamed Serbia for the assassination and threatened war. Germany backed up Austria-Hungary and Russia took sides with Serbia. Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia exactly a month later in July. Within the next few days, Germany declared war on Russia and France. At the time, Woodrow Wilson was president and he made an effort to keep America out of the war. After time went on, events like the sinking of the Lusitania happened. The Lusitania was a large passenger ship that was torpedoed by one of Germany’s U-boats in May of 1915. Many American lives were lost and terribly injured. America finally joined the war April 6th, 1917, fighting against Germany. Finally, on the 11th of November, 1918, the war came to an end. The United States calls this day Veteran’s Day to remember all the Americans who have served this great country.
Every year, Jordan has a Veteran’s Day dinner that Jim Ryan has been sponsoring for the last twenty years. The dinner has been held for at least fifty years now. Every year, Greg Wolf and a guest speaker talk about the importance of veterans and living in a free country. Last year Rebekah Fillmore sang the “National Anthem” and “God Bless America”. Rebekah will also sing this year. They call out the names of all the brave men and women who served from Jordan, then sit down to a delicious prime rib dinner.

About the Writer
Tori Murnion, Reporter

Tori Murnion is a freshman at GCDHS. Tori participates in volleyball and basketball. She also takes horses, cattle, sheep, and a cake to the Garfield County...