• Nov 15, 3:27 pmMustang Football Plays For State 6-Man Title This Saturday 1:00PM against Wibaux in Wibaux!

School Uniform Debate

Ava Kreider and Jenna Gibson

When thinking about school uniforms, thoughts of plaid skirts, private schools, cardigans, blazers, knee high socks, and ties come to mind. Public schools and school uniforms aren’t usually thought of together. In 1996 President Clinton provided momentum to the school uniform movement when he said in his State of the Union speech, “If it means teenagers will stop killing each other over designer jackets, then our public schools should be able to require their students to wear school uniforms.” But with the problems public schools seem to face, are school uniforms or a new dress code the best answer? Could these reforms be accepted at GCDHS?

When asked about his opinion on school uniforms, Superintendent Nate Olson hastily replied, “I don’t think they are great in public schools. In private schools they are okay, I think a reasonable dress code is efficient in public schools.”
He and many students do not believe it would be accepted at GCDHS.

However some students and staff think otherwise.
Freshman Brenna Murnion says, “I think school uniforms look professional, and I would like having them as long as we had a ‘casual day’.  I think would benefit students and our school because there would be less judgement and less time spent on figuring out what to wear.” Math teacher Mrs. Maetzold strongly agrees and thinks its easier on parents, especially when it comes to laundry.  She states, “I like it because there is no question about dress code. I believe that if it was student led it could be a possibility at GCDHS.”A statement commonly debated is whether or not school uniforms enhance academic performance.  National statistics suggest that school uniforms have a positive impact on classroom discipline (85%), image on the community (83%), student safety (79%), school pride (77%), student achievement (64%), and attendance (44%). However, Mr. Olson and Brenna Murnion do not believe in the academic impact enhanced by uniforms.

Despite the pros of school uniforms, there is a slim chance of them making an appearance at GCDHS anytime soon.

About the Writers
Ava Kreider, Reporter/Lifestyle Editor

Ava Kreider is a sophomore at GCDHS. She enjoys playing volleyball, going to the lake, and hiking. This is her first year reporting for journalism/yearbook...

Jenna Gibson, Business Editor/Reporter

Jenna Gibson is a sophomore at GCDHS. This is her first year on the Sagebrush Saga Staff.  She enjoys participating in volleyball, BPA, and Academic Olympics. ...