• Nov 15, 3:27 pmMustang Football Plays For State 6-Man Title This Saturday 1:00PM against Wibaux in Wibaux!

Concession Etiquette

Maggie Pluhar washing her hands

Maggie Pluhar washing her hands

Maggie Pluhar washing her hands

Ava Kreider and Jenna Gibson

Working concessions is one of the most popular ways to raise money and is thought of by many as a job you wouldn’t have to take seriously. One might think it’s normal to swat flies wherever you see them land, prepare food without gloves (like grabbing chips out of the bag), or not washing your hands before you start working. However, due to recent student discoveries, working concessions is not as simple as it may seem.
Mrs. Clark brought this point up to her first hour foods class, which led to discussing “ServSafe”, an online platform dedicated to teaching kids and adults how to serve food safely. Mrs. Clark also pointed out several problems at our local concession stand, many of which involved hygiene.  Mrs. Clark says, “People don’t think about all the germs when working concessions.”  And why would you? It seems completely normal to walk into the concession stand and start serving food as quickly as possible to complete your time, and go back to watching the game. During this process you forget to wash your hands and put on gloves, spreading germs everywhere without even thinking about it.
Mrs. Judy Billing has several pet peeves when it comes to concessions. “Girls playing with their hair and kids not washing their hands before they start working are two of my biggest pet peeves.”
Even students notice problems in our concession stands. Freshman Lacey Lawrence says, “People just standing around or not washing their hands really bothers me.”
Now that you are questioning your concession skills, think back on all the times you’ve served food without washing your hands, reached into a bag of chips without gloves, or handled money and then touched food.  These are all prime examples of improper concessions etiquette. The point of this article isn’t just to tell you what your doing wrong, but also to help you do it right for the next time you work concessions.
Mrs. Clark intends on having each class go through a “ServSafe” course with her sometime this year. So be prepared to further your concessions etiquette education.
If you think about it when visiting a concession stand or are working in one, take a moment to just watch. Watch for people making little mistakes like handling any food without gloves, handling money and then switching jobs, or swatting flies around food or the counter. Noticing the little things will help you realize how important concession etiquette is for a healthy school and community.

10 Ways To Be A Better Concession Worker

• Wash Your Hands
  • Pull Your Hair Back when it is right above shoulder length or longer
  • Wear Gloves When Preparing Food
  • Pay Attention To Who Needs Help
  • Stay Off Your Phone
  • DO NOT Eat In The Concession Stand
  • Hang Up The Flyswatters
  • Keep The Area Clean
  • Learn How To Count Money Back
  • Don’t Stand Around

*Mrs. Clark intends on having each class go through a “ServSafe” course with her sometime this year. So be prepared to further your concessions etiquette education.*

About the Writers
Ava Kreider, Reporter/Lifestyle Editor

Ava Kreider is a sophomore at GCDHS. She enjoys playing volleyball, going to the lake, and hiking. This is her first year reporting for journalism/yearbook...

Jenna Gibson, Business Editor/Reporter

Jenna Gibson is a sophomore at GCDHS. This is her first year on the Sagebrush Saga Staff.  She enjoys participating in volleyball, BPA, and Academic Olympics. ...